Representative Clients & Matters
All of our teams are lead by either retired judges, retired prosecutors or former international law firm attorneys.
- Korean Civil Litigation Team:
- Successful resolution of a Korean Customs and Tax Audit for a major international chemical company.
- Assisted a major international law firm in the resolution of trade dispute concerning the dumping allegations by a Fortune 500 American company against a Fortune 500 Korean company.
- Resolved a dispute between an Austrian automotive parts manufacturer and a leading Korean conglomerate.
- Successful settlement of a USD 28 million breach of contract in Korea against a major Korean conglomerate.
- Successful arbitration award for a subcontractor against a leading Korean general contractor.
- Korean Corporate Law & Compliance Team:
- Successful entry of a Fortune 500 e-commerce site into the Korean market.
- Consulted on licensing, joint venture and regulatory compliance issues for an American real estate developer’s shopping mall joint venture in Korea.
- Due Diligence, drafting of shareholder agreement and the successful completion of the acquisition of a Chinese company by an American fashion brand.
- Successful completion of a merger of a Chinese pharmaceutical company and a Korean medical device company.
- Representation of a leading military defense company in all matters related to business in Korea.
- Korean Criminal Defense Team:
- Pro Bono: Not guilty verdict for an American military officer charged with the crime of rape in Korea.
- Not guilty verdicts for two employees of a major American defense company in a criminal prosecution in Korea.
- Not guilty verdict for an employee of American defense contractor in a sexual assault case in Korea.
- Obtained a suspended jail sentence for an employee of a company convicted of the illegal import of diamonds into the Republic of Korea.
- Not guilty verdict for a president of a company charged with the misappropriation of funds.
- Korean Employment & Labor Law Team:
- Drafted employment agreements, employee handbooks, employment rules and formed a pension and corporate compliance system for a NASDAQ-listed company.
- Oversaw the layoff of 5% of the staff of a manufacturer in China and Korea.
- Prevailed in numerous cases of foreign employees of Korean companies that were wrongfully dismissed from Korean conglomerates.
- Successful dismissal of a senior executive for a leading international oil & gas company.
- Complete restructuring of the HR Compliance System for an international retailer.
- Korean IP Law Team:
- Enforcement and monitoring for trademark infringement throughout Asia for a leading international fashion brand.
- Successful challenge of a registered trademark for an international fashion brand.
- filing of numerous trade marks and patents for clients in collaboration with an affiliated Patent Agent.
- Korean Private Client Team:
- Structuring of a estate for a leading Korean-based entertainer prior to an anticipated divorce.
- Numerous divorce, custody and other private client matters.
- Korean Tax & Customs Team:
- Resolution of a customs enforcement matter for a leading chemical company.
- Resolution of a Tax Audit & Custom Audit for a leading food & beverage company.
- Filing of taxes for employees of the majority of our clients via an affiliated accounting firm.
Sean Hayes may be contacted at: SeanHayes@ipglegal.com.
Sean Hayes is co-chair of the Korea Practice Team at IPG Legal. He is the first non-Korean attorney to have worked for the Korean court system (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean is ranked, for Korea, as one of only two non-Korean lawyers as a Top Attorney by AsiaLaw.
Sean's profile may be found at: Sean C. Hayes
New York attorney Sean Hayes leads IPG Legal's Korea Practice Group. He is the only foreigner to work for the Korean court system as an attorney and one of the first to be a regular member of a Korean law faculty. IPG is engaged in projects in Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Korea, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, Vietnam and the U.S.
Contact Sean at: SeanHayes@IPGLegal.com