Climbing In Korea
Hello CIK members!
Ready to soak in the picture perfect glamors of Seoraksan National Park? Well here is your chance, see a whole new side of the great mountain range without having to hike Dinosaur ridge. On February 13th we will be making the trek up to the most famous peak Ulsanbawi Rock (876m) and the Towangseong Waterfall which has been forbidden 40 years and just open this month(Dec 5th)!
Here, you can enjoy spectacular panoramic views of the eastern mountain range, including Daecheongbong (the highest peak of the National Park) Sokcho city and on to the East Sea.
The trail is mostly walking with a well organized set stairs, so beginners are welcome to join, just be careful, because the top can get quite windy.
We hope that many will join in taking advantage of this opportunity to see a very special and also very snowy, part of Korea. Don`t miss out on this great chance!! Please RSVP yes if you're interested.
There are 3 options for this trip below.
Option 1: We will be making the trek up to the most famous peak Ulsanbawi rock (3-4 hours / 7km).
Option 2: We will take another trail up to Towangseong Waterfall which has been forbidden 40 years and just open this month(Dec 5th) and located deeper into National Park,The snowy trail and gigantic ice crystal waterfall will make you forget about all of your worries, and cares(round trip is around 3 hours).
Option 3: Ulsanbawi Rock+Towangseong Waterfall: we ask that only strong members, ready for a challenge because we will be trekking at a fast pace in order to meet the other group at the base of the mountain.
Fee - 25,000 won by February 7th / 30,000won after (Round trip transportation & Park entrance fee ): 40 spots on the trip are first come, first served based on whoever pays first.
A few Notes:
1. Please check the headline to know how many seats are left, we will be posting announcements for the last ten spots. And as always it the First to pay gets the spot so if you want to come please pay as soon as possible!
2. Be extra careful while hiking(trekking). As you know, CIK is always a big group so we will need to help each other and stick together. This means slowing down for some and speeding up for some. If we help each other, it will be an awesome day.
3. Since CIK will not be held responsible for any injuries that may occur on any hiking trip, we highly recommend that you have your own personal form of medical insurance prior to attending all outings. We also strongly suggest shoes with good traction and ankle support!
4. Listen carefully to the organizers and do not go ahead or fall behind the group while hiking(trekking).
Destination: Seoraksan National Park, Gangwon-do
Where to meet - 08:00am Sport complex Stn. Line 2 (#218), exit 1 outside.
Date - February 13th, Saturday
8:05 Depart from Sport complex stn(line 2/#218), exit 1 outside
11:00 Arrive at the trail head
12:00 Stop for lunch during the trek. We can spend some time relaxing amidst the beautiful surroundings. Please bring a packed lunch.
17:00 Finish the hike
17:10 Depart for Seoul
20:30 Arrive back in Seoul (depending on traffic conditions)
1. Please make sure to wear layers including warm clothing, hat, gloves, scarf, socks and etc. Dress in breathable and water(wind) resistant layers with materials for winter. Avoid cotton and jeans. Also, crampons(eisen), Gaiters(spats)) and walking poles will be good to bring, if you have them. There will most likely be strong winds and cold temperatures.
2. Bring plenty of hot water, lunch and walking snacks (easily digestible and high calorie content)
3. Money for Dinner(we will eat at a restaurant at the end of the hike or be stopping at a gas station on the way back to Seoul)
Note: Hiking schedule and time might change according to weather, traffic and etc. Please be flexible; we are all here to have a good time!
--How to sign up for this trip--
1. RSVP Yes!
2. Deposit money to:
Name: Kim Sung Won
Bank: Kookmin(KB) Bank
Account Number: 465101-01-028988
3. After you have made the deposit, please e-mail me at email@example.com with your full name on your account, phone number, amount paid and for what trip.
LIABILITY: While CIK is very considerate of the needs of its members, we cannot be held responsible for a hikers possessions, health, and/or safety so we highly recommend that you have your own personal form of medical insurance prior to attending all outings.
6 days before departure = 100% refund of deposit (Feb 7th or earlier)
48 hours to 5days before departure = 50% (Feb 8th-Feb 10th)
48 hours before departure to departure = 0% (Feb 11th or later)
Hope to see ya there!
Seoul - Korea (South)
Saturday, February 13 at 8:00 AM