Climbing In Korea
Dear CIK members!
Got the winter blues? Well, it now is the perfect time to get out of bed and come see the beautiful side of Korean winter. Come join us on a special trip to one of the most spectacular snowy spenders that Korea has to offer.
On Saturday, January 30th. we will take a trip to Mt. Deogyu National Park, to hike Muju-gun in Jeollabuk-do. Mt. Deogyu has been a very popular site for many adventurous winter hiking. Along the way, we will be rewarded with a breathtaking view of Hyangjeokbong which include vast fields of plant life and strikingly beautiful snow-covered Korean fir trees. The Korean fir forest spans between Hyangjeokbong(1610m) and Jungbong(1594m) which makes all hikers feel like they have stepped out of the grey cold city and into a magnificent and gigantic winter wonderland with a snow scenery stretching as far as the eyes can see. we will have an opportunity to take a gondola ride to the top of Seolcheongbong(first peak) to enjoy different view and start hiking there. The gondola ride costs 11,000 won. Please be considerate to bring 11,000 won in cash because they don't seem to take plastic at the ticket window.
We estimate that the hiking is going to be about 10km long and take about 5 hours. Since the walking is not difficult, all levels of participants can surely complete the course without too much effort! We hope that many people join us and take advantage of this opportunity to see a very special and snowy part of Korea. Don`t miss this great chance; reserve your seat now!
Fee - 27,000 won by January 24th / 32,000won after (Round trip transportation): 44 spots on the trip are first come, first served based on whoever pays first.
Hiking Course: Muju Resort-A godola ride-Seolcheongbong-Hangjeokbong(1610m)-Jungbong-Dongeupijae-Chilyeon-Three-way Intersection-Chilyeon waterfall-Anseong Information Center(10km/5 hours)
A few Notes:
1. Please check the headline to know how many seats are left, we will be posting announcements for the last ten spots. And as always it the First to pay gets the spot so if you want to come please pay as soon as possible!
2. Be extra careful while hiking(trekking). As you know, CIK is always a big group so we will need to help each other and stick together. This means slowing down for some and speeding up for some. If we help each other, it will be an awesome day.
3. Since CIK will not be held responsible for any injuries that may occur on any hiking trip, we highly recommend that you have your own personal form of medical insurance prior to attending all outings. We also strongly suggest shoes with good traction and ankle support!
4. Listen carefully to the organizers and do not go ahead or fall behind the group while hiking(trekking).
6. Hiking schedule and time might change according to weather, traffic, and etc. Please be flexible; we are all here to have a good time.
Destination: Deogyusan national park in Jeollabukdo.
When: Saturday, January 30th
Where to Meet: 7: 30am at Sports Complex Stn., line 2 (#218), exit 1.
7:35 Depart from Sports Complex stn., line 2.
11:00 Arrive at the trail head. We will ride the Gondola to Seolcheongbong(first peak).
13:00: Stop for lunch during the hike. We can spend some time relaxing amidst the beautiful surroundings. Please bring a packed lunch.
17:00 Finish the hike.
17:30 Depart for Seoul ( Eat at a restaurant at the end of the hike or be stopping for dinner at a gas station on the way back to Seoul)
21:30: Arrive back in Seoul (depending on traffic conditions).
1. Please make sure to wear layers including warm clothing. Also, crampons(eisen), gaiters(spats), hat, scarf, gloves and hiking poles will be good to bring,if you have them. There will most likely be strong winds and cold temperatures.
2. Bring plenty of hot water, lunch and walking snacks (easily digestible and high calorie content)
How to sign up for this trip:
1. RSVP Yes!
2. Deposit money to:
Name: Kim Sung Won
Bank: Kookmin(KB) Bank
Account Number: 465101-01-028988
3. After you have made the deposit, please e-mail me at email@example.com with your full name on your account, phone number, amount paid and for what trip.
LIABILITY: While CIK is very considerate of the needs of its members, we cannot be held responsible for a hikers possessions, health, and/or safety so we highly recommend that you have your own personal form of medical insurance prior to attending all outings.
6 days before departure = 100% refund of deposit(January 24th or earlier)
48 hours to 6days before departure = 50%(January 25th-January 27th)
48 hours before departure to departure = 0%(January 28th or later)
Hope to see ya there!
Seoul - Korea (South)
Saturday, January 30 at 7:30 AM