Climbing In Korea
Attention Ladies and Gentlemen, hikers, climbers and mountain lovers. CIK is planning a very special overnight excursion to, the one, the only, Jiri Mountian, October 21st-22nd.
As many of you many know Jirisan is one of the top must see mountains in South Korea. Jirisan highest peak Cheonwangbong sits at a stunning 1,915 meters making it the tallest peak on the South Korean mainland, only a mere 35 meters lower than its rival Hallasan.
Maple trees that go on forever and the more colorful fall scenery never cease to impress visitors. Together, let’s experience the sense of mystery and pleasure that accompanies hiking Korea's more beloved mountains during Danpung (autum foliage). If you're wanting to get into that fall feeling, you know that one that comes only after inhaling a breath of cool crisp air while being surrounded by trees and possibly wearing a scarf and/or gloves, then join us!
We will start from Georimgol, hitting Chotdaebong, Yeonhabong and Jewangbong and hike up to the peak, Cheonwangbong, which is the highest peak of Jiri Mountain. This tail has particularly beautiful scenery and we will get to see the more colorful fall scenery at Saseukpyeongjeon.
The hike to the peak will be steep off-and-on but it is, generally speaking, a moderately easy hike along the ridge. In terms of difficulty, consider that Jiri Mountain may be more demanding than your average Seoul mountain, but easier than Seoraksan’s dragon ridge.
*** Please remember that this is a challenging hike and positive “ I CAN DO IT” attitude is a must***
We’re estimating the hike to be about 18.9km long and take about 9-11 hours of walking. Don’t miss this excellent opportunity to spend a fantastic day with friends both new and old as you trek through the wonderful mountain and take in the breath taking scenery.
Georimgol- Saseukpyeongjeon (1,600m)- Chotdaebong (1,703m)-Yeonhabong (1,730m)-Jangteomok shelter-Jewangbong(1,806m)-Cheonwangbong(1,915m)-Beopgyesa (temple)-Jungsanri (18.9km / 9-11hrs)
Fee - 32,000 won by October 16th/ 37,000won after(Round trip transportation ): 44spots on the trip are first come, first served based on whoever pays first
Destination : Jirisan National Park
When : October 21st-22nd
The Plans are:
FRIDAY NIGHT (21st)
11:30pm- Sports complex Stn on Line 2 (#218), exit 1 outside
4:00am - Arrive at Georimgol(trail head)
4:20am - Start hiking up
8:00am - Arrive at Saseuk shelter and have breakfast
11:00am -Arrive at Janteomok shelter. It takes an hour and half to get from Jangteomok shelter to Cheonwanbong (the peak) and the trail is 1.7km long. Those who do not want to do Cheonwangbong can go back down to Jungsanri at Jangteomok shelter, which puts you ahead of the rest of the group by 2 hours (rest time!)
13:00pm - Arrive at Cheonwangbong (peak)
16:30pm-Arrive at Jungsanri and depart for Seoul
21:30pm -Arrive back in Seoul (depending on traffic)
Note: Hiking schedule and time might change according to weather, traffic, and etc. Please be flexible; we are all here to have a good time!
1. Flash light (we will start hiking before sunrise)
2. Long pants for the jagged ridges and extra clothing
3. 1 small bottle of water (refill is available at the shelter)
4. 2 meals (breakfast and lunch) and walking snacks (easily digestible and high calorie snacks)
5. If you have a cooking set, bring it! (You are allowed to cook at the Shelter so you can have Ramyen, etc.)
6. Pack lightly because it will be a long hike.
7. The hike will have steep sections and will involve a lot of rocky terrain, so footwear appropriate for hiking is a must.
8. Hiking Sticks/Trekking poles (optional, but recommended)
9. Money for Dinner (we will eat at a restaurant at the end of the hike or be stopping for dinner at a gas station on the way back to Seoul)
10. Since CIK will not be held responsible for any injuries that may occur on any hiking trip, we highly recommend that you have your own personal form of medical insurance prior to attending all outings.
How to sign up for this trip:
1. RSVP Yes!
2. Deposit money to:
Name: Kim Sung Won
Bank: Kookmin(KB) Bank
3. After you have made the deposit, please e-mail me at email@example.com with your full name on your account, phone number,amount paid and for what trip.
LIABILITY: While CIK is very considerate of the needs of its members, we cannot be held responsible for a hikers possessions, health, and/or safety.
6 days before departure = 100% refund of deposit(October 16th or earlier)
48 hours to 5 days before departure = 50% (October 17th-October 19th)
48 hours before departure to departure = 0% (October 20th or later)
Hope to see ya there!
Seoul - Korea (South)
Friday, October 21 at 11:30 PM